Thursday, March 19, 2009

Mid-Week Getaway


This week is Spring Break, and because I had to take a tour of Raytheon on Monday and then tomorrow is our ultrasound, we didn't make any huge plans. However, we couldn't let Spring Break go to waste just because of some silly commitments! Matthias decided to book us at a bed and breakfast in Patagonia, which is basically in the middle of nowhere (right next to Sonoita, which I am in love with!). It's in Arizona's "wine country". Rolling grassy hills, lots of windmills, and not much civilization. Exactly the getaway we needed!

We also invited my sister Kathleen along, because she was in need of a break from the drama of living with 2 other girls in an apartment complex full of friends.

Here are some pictures of our journey that I took playing with my new camera. There are over 250, so I just chose a few.

Rolling Grassy Hills

Windmills - Where's Don Quixote?

Look at that beautiful landscape!

Matthias taking a break from playing the guitar in the side yard of the Bed and Breakfast

Kathleen, the usual suspect

Me taking a turn at the guitar

This morning we drove to the middle of nowhere...to towns we had never even heard of! We decided to drive to Harshaw, since San Rafael Valley was on a primitive road with a HUGE warning sign.

Chickens!

Harshaw

The only Harshaw settlement was an old abandoned, possibly burned down house, and a cemetery.

Then we drove to Patagonia Lake!

First we laid down and took out our books to read by the reeds.

Then we went out on a paddle boat for a couple of hours (Kathleen got out to take pictures...

...so she didn't forget to catch some shots of herself!)

This little getaway was EXACTLY what we needed...well, minus a little bit of sunburn. The Bed and Breakfast was homey, we loved the side yard, we had good Mexican food, we actually saw the stars (no matter how hard they try to make Tucson a star-friendly city, you just can't see stars in Tucson!), we had "manly quiche" for breakfast, went on a fun drive and went to the lake. A relaxing, drama-free get-away!

3 comments:

~pollyanna said...

sounds dreamy... I will have to put that destination on our to do list...

Camille said...

Megan! I'm so glad you found my blog a few weeks ago, sorry it's taken me a while to find you back. I didn't know you were expecting--congratulations! I wish I knew you guys would be here when the baby arrives but New Hampshire sounds adventurous. What was the name of this B&B? Birch has talked about one that direction but we've never been. Sounds so relaxing!

Duckie said...

Lucky!!!!