Monday, August 10, 2009

Oliver K. Whitney

Attention: birth story follows. If you're not into that, feel free to skip to the cute baby pictures.

Sunday, August 9, we went in at 11:00 am to get the tablet to ripen the cervix so that we could start pitocin in the morning and have the baby induced. Megan got the tablet around 2pm, and by 6pm, the doctor decided we would do best to stay the night. We passed the time and the contractions playing plenty of cribbage.


After awhile, Megan's contractions became strong and periodic, but then died away and became irregular. This, combined with something in baby's heart beat confused the doctor and she thought to start with the pitocin right away (around 8pm). But then things normaled out and the doctor changed the call back to rest through the night and pitocin in the morning after a good night sleep.

Megan's contractions had another plan though. At this point, they got stronger and more painful, making it difficult to sleep at all. By midnight, she was only dialated to 2 cm and they were ready to give Megan some morphine to help her sleep. However, even with the morphine, she was waking up frequently to have painful contractions. By 4 am, she was in real pain and amazingly dialated to 8 cm and baby's head was -2. The contractions felt like they were pushing, but she still wasn't supposed to at this point. They asked if she wanted epidural and she said yes, maybe, no, maybe. But then a really bad contraction came on and she said, "Yes! Yes! Yes!" But the doctor came in and said, "I see a head! Too late for epidural, start pushing!" That last painful contraction must have opened up those last two cm and dropped his head like a rock.

30 min of arduous pushing later, Megan birthed a perfectly healthy, beautiful baby boy at 5:03 am, Monday, August 10, 2009. 19.5 in tall, 7 lbs 5 ounces, with curly read hair! Oliver K. Whitney. I even must have had some paternal instincts kick in because I was fine coaching on Megan durin that last half hour, watching the baby come out in the end, and cutting the umbilical cord.

The three of us have spent a good day snoozing and being together. Megan and Oliver and doing just fine. We'll probably be in the hospital until Wednesday morning.





21 comments:

Heather said...

He is SOOOOOOO cute!!!! Love the red hair!!

Kerr Family said...

cute little guy! We can't wait to see
him in person. Alex is looking forward to playing with his new cousin. "When will that be?"!!

Allyson said...

He is so cute!!

Mary Ann said...

What a cutie! Can't imagine where he got the red hair... lol
Get some rest Mom and Dad!

Lauren said...

Oh my gooodness!! Congrats! He is beautiful! Babies are miracles! CONGRATS!! Loves to you guys!
Lots of "!!!" I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations! He's very cute!

Alan and Sara Olsen said...

Congrats on your beautiful baby boy! I'm glad mom and baby are both healthy! Little boys are the best :)

Megan Turnidge said...

Awwww! He's a cutie! Congrats!! You're parents!!!! :D I hope you can get some rest!

Mrs. Frisina said...

Awe!!! He's the cutest son my sister ever had!!! I'm so excited!! I knew he was gonna be a stud! :D

Lu and Moo said...

WAY TO GO TEAM WHITNEY! WOOT WOO! P.S. I love the hair! I know you both planned that specifically, so again, Way To Go! ;)

Lara said...

Oh my gosh, Matthias, congrats to you and Megan, he is beautiful! Tell she's a trooper for going so long in labor and then not getting an epidural! She's a strong woman. Congrats again he is adorable!

~pollyanna said...

What a wonderful happy story... Sending love and hugs from AZ...

Callie said...

YAY!!! CONGRATULATIONS! He is a very handsome boy! Glad to hear that mommy and baby are doing great! Make sure you keep us posted! YAY FOR BABIES!

Turbo said...

Woo hoo! Congratulations, you guys!

Shelley said...

What a cutie!! Congrats to the happy family and welcome to the world, Oliver!!1

Britt said...

What a stud - just like his dad! Great job Mom!!! Thanks for sharing those first moments via pictures!

Kimberlee said...

He's adorable, congratulations!!! Your birthing story is so familiar to my first its kind of creepy. I got the same pill, wanted an epidural, but there wasn't enough time, had a boy that weighed 7lb 5 oz. Weird, huh? We're very happy for you guys.

Stephanie said...

What a perfect baby boy!
I love him already!

Meka said...

He is so beautiful, I love his curly hair. Good job Megan, what an amazing birth story! Cute cute family! Congratulations!

Shy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shy said...

He is soooo cute!! Congratulations!!


Friend of your moms from AZ

Shila