Friday, August 7, 2009

It's {almost} baby time!

Warning: Lots of doctor terms and possibly too much information. Long story short: I'm being induced starting Sunday morning and will probably have the baby on Monday. Baby is fine, I've just got an official diagnosis of preeclampsia (high blood pressure in pregnancy), which will most likely completely disappear once baby is born. The rest of this post is just details.

Ever since I've been going to the doctor in New Hampshire my blood pressure has been a little high. It was normal in Arizona, but somewhere in the 6-ish weeks without seeing a doctor, driving across the country, moving, and lots of rain preventing me from going on the walks (aka exercise) I was looking forward to along the river, it got a little high.

On Wednesday it was high enough to worry the doctor, so she had me lie down to recheck it. It went down enough that she just put me on bed rest, had me do some blood work and more urine testing, and then come back today. My blood pressure was still high, but not high enough to warrant hospital monitoring (which she had been considering on Wednesday). They did ask me to come in Monday for an ultrasound just to make sure baby is all right and then they would check my blood pressure again (nothing like going to the doctor every other day!)

However, when they got my urine tests back this afternoon, there was enough protein in there to diagnose preeclampsia. It's not a danger to the baby, but the danger is in my high blood pressure and it could cause other problems. They had me come back in again for an ultrasound (it's still a boy, and he's doing very well. The measurement that they had was 7lb9oz.) and to measure my cervix (1cm, 30% effaced).

So, they are doing a 2-day induction starting Sunday morning. They will put in a pill to soften the cervix on Sunday, and then have me come back in for pitocin and delivery on Monday.

It's baby time! Hooray!

Is it bad to be excited about being diagnosed preeclamptic? I mean, I know it's an official medical condition, but my blood pressure is under control when I'm laying down, and it just means we get to meet our son sooner!

6 comments:

Mrs. Frisina said...

I'M SO EXCITED!!!!

Tell him his auntie loves him! :D

Mrs. Frisina said...

Oh man, so what I just realized is that this means that Nephew forgot to be born on the Thursday night before off-Friday! :( hehe.

Megan Turnidge said...

We'll keep you in our prayers!! I hope everything goes well with your labor and delivery! I'm sorry you've got high blood pressure, but at least the bed rest is short. :D HOORAY for baby time!!!

Brandon said...

From what I understand, its not that uncommon. Granted, I only know stories from speaking to my mother and tons of people that have been through the process. A higher blood pressure is not all that rare with a heavier baby - because its putting an increased amount of strain on the body because of the baby's weight and additional amniotic fluid in the body for the baby. You should be fine when the baby comes. Do you guys have a name yet?

Janny said...

I am so excited the baby will be coming soon! We will be thinking of you a ton and praying for you and that cute little baby.

Eevi said...

Good luck! I'll be checking the blog for updates!