Friday, August 28, 2009

Loving the baby

Oliver had his 2 week appointment on Thursday.

At 17 days old:
8lb 10.6oz
21.5"


Guess that means breastfeeding is working, right? Every time I look at him he seems a little bit bigger. So, since this growing up thing happens way too fast, here are a few things that we love about this stage of Oliver's life:

His grunts. Oliver makes the cutest little grunting noises!

His zombie arms. Matthias discovered it while playing up and down with him. Oliver has these startle arms where he'll stick out his arms, hands open and down, and it looks like he is imitating a zombie. It is adorable and almost always happens as I am picking him up to burp him, so he has the sleepy/sedated just eaten red face to go with it.



His Hands. Even in the womb Oliver always had his hands by his face. When we swaddle him, he always finds a way for his hands to escape and be by his face. Sometimes feeding is nearly impossible because he won't move his hands out of the way. He'll even try sucking on his hands sometimes, and one day when he missed, he gave himself a hickey on his wrist. He's also got quite the grip.

His neck. From day one Oliver has had some neck control. I remember seeing him raise his head from Matthias's shoulder and realizing how strong of a baby he was! He probably helped with labor, and that's why it was so fast! He also does head butts where he'll pull his head back, and then head butt you wherever his head lands. Luckily he never hurts himself.

His feet. Oliver definitely has Matthias's feet. We're hoping not the ingrown toenails, but his big and little toes are definitely just like daddy's. (In other news, on my hospital birth certificate I have six toes on my left footprint. Oliver only has 4.)

His legs. Lately Oliver has been getting stronger and stronger, especially his legs. He'll kick off a swaddle first thing when he wakes up. Feeding and burping is a lot of fun now that he'll start kicking himself all over the place. He's a strong boy!

His eyes.
When he was first born, Oliver seemed to only have one eye open at a time. Now he is good at opening two eyes at a time. A few days ago he even started focusing and following things with his eyes, as well as going cross-eyed sometimes. I love it when I know he is looking at me! Also, his gray eyes are lightening to possibly a blue-ish color. We'll give it a few more months to call it official.

His smile.
Most of the time after I feed Oliver he falls asleep. For a few minutes while I am burping him he gets really cuddly and while he is only half asleep he'll smile at me. Today he actually smiled at me with his eyes open, and in response to me smiling at him. We'll see if it was just a fluke, but his smile just melts me!

His milk mustache.
Need I say more? I also love the milk dribbles and what a messy eater he is. Just like how I imagine little Matthias eating watermelon at barbeque pool parties.

Check back later and maybe I'll have taken and added pictures to match the post. I've been wanting to, but I usually get him when he's hungry, and then after he feeds he falls fast asleep. Or I see something cute and don't have a camera nearby.

4 comments:

Jim said...

The girls and I were laughing so hard at his kiss/burp. SO cute. We also love the grunting. Thanks for sharing!
Kim, Brooke and Holly

Kimberlee said...

Sorry, posted under my mom's google account. The previous was from the James family.

Melissa said...

Yeah we found your blog!! Congratulations on baby Oliver! So cute.

Charlene said...

Hey just found your blog on facebook. Oliver is so adorable.