Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Two Years Old

Today is Oliver's 2nd birthday.  Wow does time fly by fast.

My mom sent him a box of presents all wrapped up, so Matthias put them in the crib last night after Oliver fell asleep.  We didn't wake up to him screaming, actually slept until 6:30, and when I got up to use the bathroom I heard ripping in the other room.  We went in to find this:


So then we spent the next little while just playing with him and his new toys.  We are getting him a tricycle, but don't plan on giving it to him until his party next weekend.  And we've picked up a couple of books and a movie for him.  But overwhelming him with presents doesn't work so well, so it's more fun to just let him play with a few at a time.



Oliver is at such an amazing age where he is learning and growing and completely baffling us by how grown up he is.  I just wrote up a few anecdotes that I haven't written but need to.  Hopefully I haven't missed too many, because this kid is a riot and provides constant entertainment.

The other day we had the Sister Missionaries over.  Oliver started pointing at all of us saying "Mama, Mama, Mama, Dada".  He discovered on his own that there were three women and one man, and put the only words that he had to label us.  We taught him that they are Sisters (which might be confusing because he still calls Camilla "Sister"), and that they are girls and Dada and Oliver are boys.

Oliver loves music.  One day he even composed his own song, with lyrics and everything.


We also made him a cd with a bunch of primary songs.  Before that he knew I am a Child of God (and LOVED this video), Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam, and I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus.  He still likes "I'm trying" the best, and when we turn on the cd he can sing at least every other word.  I love that some of those every other words are just the ending to words, like "ness" or "ly".  He obviously likes it because of how it sounds and feels, not for the words and that makes it even better.  Now he loves "I Love to See the Temple" and "Families Can Be Together Forever" and "We are a Happy Family" and so many more that we put on there.  It's fun to put the cd on in the car because he will spontaneously start singing along to songs that we didn't know he knew.  Oh, another song he loves is "I'm so glad when Daddy comes home" complete with the motions!  The primary music leader even had the nursery kids go up on the stand for Father's Day.  It was adorable!  She's also been teaching them the "Latter-Day Prophets" song, and the way Oliver says "bimyung" for Brigham Young is adorable.

Our budding photographer caught an amazing (almost) family photo on the iPod.

About a month ago I was helping out with the music in Primary, so I went in to the nursery kids, and they just LOVED running around in circles together.  Oliver loves it when I chase him around the house, especially if I randomly turn around and scare him entering a room with a boo.

Oliver is doing much better at saying please, without us asking.  He is also getting better at controlling his tantrums.  It's still hard for all of us, but it makes such a difference for him to be able to tell us what is wrong, and for us to try to make things better, when he isn't screaming at every interval.


He can put together his own train tracks now

Unfortunately, we've got Oliver hooked on tv and movies.  He loves Elmo (gag me!  I am a Cookie Monster fan myself!), Monkey George (aka Curious George), and Woody Man (Toy Story...he calls Buzz Lightyear "Man") the most.

Oliver lines his cars and trains up on the arms of the couch.  

This boy LOVES cars and trucks, too.  He's going through a phase where he would rather watch me draw than to color and draw himself (I can seriously only get a few scribbles out of him, but I at least have him hold the writing instrument with me).  His favorites to have me draw are car, truck, gargage truck, mailman, mailman truck, Elmo, Oliver, Mama, Dada, Sister, Carseat.  Not that I am any artist, but he loves it.  Also, when he is building with Legos he loves the car and will make different colored cars and trucks.


Car + Platform = truck.  Note the man and the flower too.

He has also really gotten into reading.  He's always liked story time, but now he has opinions and very vocally lets us know them (oh that word "no"!).  His latest favorite has been "Chicken, Boom Boom" aka Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom.  Luckily I have it memorized, because on Sunday he was having a rough time and asked for it.  And luckily it worked!  He also likes the Berenstein Bears.  He calls the Messy Room "Toys" and Too Much TV "Fee Fee".


He also reads the cars every morning while Mama works on the Sunday crossword.

He calls his pots "pops" and socks "sops".

Oliver has started trying to pray.  One day during lunch he got onto his knees in his high chair, folded his arms, and mumbled out a prayer "Heffy Fader, food, bwess, AMEN!" with a bunch of hard to understand mumbles in there.


His laughter and smile are infectious.

Matthias showed Oliver "Charlie Bit Me" and Oliver loved it.  So much that when we give Camilla the binky he will say "Ouch, Sister!" or he will even bite his own finger and say "Ouch, Oliver!"

I've been trying to teach Oliver how to catch a ball.  Maybe I need to work on his throwing form, as well, but I think once he understands that the other person needs to catch it'll come.  I just love how he squishes up his face when he throws the ball!

Note:  He cannot lick his elbow.

Oliver has an amazing imagination, and I hope we can keep it so active!  Sometimes he will wear toys on his foot and call them shoes.  His latest venture is that he will put a pillow on his lap and drive it as a car.  Then he will pat the seat next to him and say "Mama?  Car seat?" and I have to come over so he can drive me around while flailing his arms adorably.  Sometimes Camilla gets to join in the fun too!  Also, anything he can slide his bum off of is a slide.  He also just learned that he can jump forward, and now tries it all the time.  We are till working on the fact that jumping down the stairs isn't the best idea.

Oliver is also learning how to get dressed.  He still needs our help a lot, but he definitely has an opinion on what he wants to wear.  Oh, and if you give him the wrong color of underwear, he's quick to correct.  He also likes wearing shoes, and makes sure that we are all wearing shoes.


Dada shoes


Cars pants (actually swim trunks) with pockets!  And the boat shirt.


Sister, choo choos.


Mama shoes.

I have loved watching Oliver become a big brother.  He tries to help out "Sister, Bacon" (binky...we got that from a friend!) and then he'll suck on her binky.  He also helps out in the car by taking off her blankets and spit rags.  He loves to share his cars and trucks and trains with her.  He loves to hold her, and when she cries he runs over to her crib just to look at her.  And you know what?  She usually calms down.  He still loves to hold her, and even tries to move her or pick her up like we do (I'm so glad he's not that strong yet and that she's growing faster than his is!).  And best of all is the look on his face when he is going over to her:

Did I mention he likes to share?  He grabbed all of his cars Gus-Gus like, and was bringing them over to Camilla.  Until he got so excited and took them to the other couch to play with them himself.

Oliver is two now, and he's been acting it for awhile.  He loves the word "No!", and runs away whenever we ask him to do something.  Although sometimes, he runs away because he's excited about something, like brushing his teeth.  We pull out the toothbrush, put on the fake toothpaste, and he does a happy dance and runs away he is so excited.  We deal with a lot of drama and a lot of tantrums, but luckily they only get really bad when he's teething.  Those 2 year old molars are working their way out and some days he's got his whole fist in his mouth.  Luckily Motrin makes a huge difference in his temperament and ability to sleep, but I'd hate to over-medicate him so we usually save it for night time.

Yes, there are days that I feel like I can't take anymore, but Oliver is Oliver, and I wouldn't have him any other way.  Along with the tantrums and screaming comes lots of laughter, sweet snuggles, and love.  We love watching him learn and grow and he amazes us all the time.  Every day I love him more, and somehow I know that this huge love will be even bigger tomorrow.  I'm so glad he's part of our family!

Here are some more pictures of the birthday boy.  I tried to line up his name with blocks, but he LOVES to knock down the blocks, so these are the best I've got.  Happy Birthday, Oliver!  We love you!






2 comments:

Keresa said...

Happy birthday Oliver!

Meagan said...

Oh my gosh. How in the world does time go so fast?! He is cuter than ever! I'm thinkin' we might have to steal the present in bed idea for birthdays. That is so fun!