Friday, August 19, 2011

My Hobby: Economics?

Being out of college and a professional and all (or a person as I like to call it) it's been fun to be able to pick up a few hobbies. I've been able to join the SNHU concert band, learn to play the piano a little bit, pick up running, follow politics, and read books for fun. It's a little ironic that I'm writing this now, as I am about to start a distance learning course on Monday to begin my Masters degree in Optics so these hobbies may get muscled out by homework, but that's besides this post.



Among the books that I've been reading for fun, I picked one up that I'd heard about called Freakonomics coauthored by an economist a journalist. The idea behind Freakonmics is that while economics is rather dull, the tools that economists use to solve problems are rather useful. So they take the tools of economics and apply them much more interesting topics than the economy, like crime, cheating, drug trafficking, real estate agents, prostitution, political campaigns, sumo wrestling, baby names, global warming/cooling, spousal relationships, baseball, parenting, and the list goes on. Some of this falls under psychology and behavioral economics. But some of it is just fun, but uncanny, making you think upside down on a topic that you didn't think much about.

Besides the two Freakonomics books, the coauthors have also done very well putting together a very fun to read blog, where several different economists post on various subjects, and an entertaining podcast. This is really why I'm writing this post, to share their most recent podcast, which is a special one-hour show called The Economist's Guide to Parenting. I find it both entertaining and enlightening as I listen to it with my parenting in mind. By sharing it here, my hope is that some of you will it enjoy it too.

Oh yeah, learning how to parent an infant and a toddler are also among my new hobbies. :)

As a bonus, here are a bunch of other books that might be considered "Freakonomish" that I've read or at least gleaned through that are pretty fun.

3 comments:

Nendy said...

Good Luck with your schooling! I love the photo. I haven't decided what it is called though. I think I will name it an oranple. This sounds better than apange or ange.

You are very good with the toddler and infant. I admire your patience and calmness and consistency when dealing with them. They know you are serious and that you love them.

Back Country Rambler said...

these guys have a spot on the NPR market place report. they are funny and a little odd, but I guess they fit the crowd.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the share Matthias. That was a very interesting podcast. I really like the advice: "The best parent is a happy parent."