Sunday, July 5, 2009

Long Weekend - day 1

Hooray for Off-Friday! Because it was due to fall on the 3rd anyway, Insight decided to celebrate Independence Day by turning it into a 4-day weekend! AND Matthias managed to avoid anyone who could ask him to come in over the weekend, so he really got it off this week!

On Friday morning we were able to do the usual weekend chores. We took a beautiful drive through the New Hampshire countryside to look at an item on craigslist. We went grocery shopping. Typical weekend type activities.

However, Matthias searched up places to get Dominican food in our area, and so we thought we'd turn it into an adventure to try to find a Chimi stand on the New Hampshire/Massachusetts border.

It had been raining all week, and it even started to downpour as we were looking at the maps for the Chimi stand. However, we decided to tough it out. Luckily, the sun came out, a beautiful rainbow appeared, and by the time we were there the weather was perfect!


So we entered the quaint New England town of Lawrence, MA where they had American flags hanging on the light posts.


Next thing we knew, things were a little more ghetto, lots of signs were in Spanish, the Bachata music playing in our car could be heard in other cars...


and then we saw the Chimi truck!

Matthias was decked out in his Dominican gear (mission shirt and baseball cap).

Not only was this my first Chimi experience, it was baby's first Chimi experience too! (Yes, I am getting huge.)

What, you may ask, is a Chimi? Well, watch us enjoy (we had Bachata on in the background to make the experience more authentic):

This is what it looks like on the inside:

Kind of like a hamburger, but the meat is seasoned differently. The greenish white stuff is boiled cabbage that is then cooked on a griddle. Lots of mystery sauce, and all in a toasted bun. We had jugo (juice) called mori soƱando (I died dreaming). It's similar in flavor to orange julius. The ice was the most randomly shaped ice I had ever had, and when I had Matthias try some because it was weirding me out, he said that they even made the ice the authentic Domincan way, of freezing it in a bowl/pan and then breaking it into chunks with a spoon!

A very satisfying Chimi experience! I wouldn't mind going back, and Matthias was in heaven.

As we were driving home, we drove by Dunkin' Donuts. There are Dunkin' Donuts everywhere, and as a pregnant lady I happen to love donuts. I tend to mention this as we are passing the one on the way to our house, and this time Matthias was feeling generous (because we'd just driven 30 minutes each way to get Chimis), so we stopped in to get some donut holes. After talking to the casheir lady, we found out that throw-away time was 9:45. We had a half an hour, and she said she'd see us out there if we were there. So we went up to Target in the meantime, because it would be a good vantage point to catch the 3rd of July fireworks (I don't know why, but who's complaining?). We had sparklers, so we pulled them out. I grew up in AZ, where sparklers are very illegal. Needless to say, I was enthralled.

After some sparking, it was 9:45, so we went back down to the Dunkin' Donuts, and the lady had left the dumpster gate open for us, so Matthias grabbed a half dozen FREE donuts that we would have paid for 30 minutes earlier. We were already full from the donut holes, but I'm not complaining, and baby was very happy to have donuts for breakfast!

3 comments:

Janny said...

That sounds like an amazing 4 day weekend! Mmmm donuts and chimis

Nendy said...

It sounds like a fun day! I wish I could have some donuts!

Dustin said...

Looks like you guys are having fun.