Sunday, June 7, 2009

I love Insight Techology!

I've just completed my first week at Insight and am now getting ready for my next!

On my first day, took me up to the observation tower for orientation, where three other new hires filled out paper work, watched safety videos, and sang the Insight Technology company song: "I love Insight Technology..."

The room with my desk/cube is the Work Instruction room, which is the department that writes out an illustrated process for generating product, so that a technician can reproduce it exactly. The work instruction department consists of four of the friendliest, chattiest ladies you could ever meet. And though they like to visit and their conversations go a mile a minute, they are efficient and expeditious in what they do! For example, I mentioned that my wife was pregnant and that we needed to choose a doctor and a hospital, they went right away telling me about every baby they'd ever had and everyone they'd ever known who had had a baby and their sister's friend's cousin who was an RN at one hospital in the maternity ward and what he thought of the hospitals in town and the ob/gyn's around and before I knew, I had a neatly organized annotated packet of materials they'd looked up and printed from the internet on information about both hospitals and several doctors we could have our baby with! Wow!

Though I sit with the Work Instruction group, I'm in manufacturing engineering and I've been spending alot of time getting familiar with the equipment necessary to fabricate a solid state infrared laser that will go into a future product. It seems that when a few different people saw that a new optical engineer was listed in the manufacturing engineering group, they signed me up for their project before I even started work! So I've been on this project from day 1, and I guess we've been behind since day 1 also. Yikes! And though Insight has a 9-80 schedule (9 hour days and every other Friday off) one of the guys I'm working with said that we'll probably work every off-Friday until this product is delivered in mid-July. Then he said, "Welcome to Insight! You'll soon what a real off-Friday is!"

4 comments:

Nendy said...

It sounds like you are enjoying work. I'm glad you also have lots of doctor and hospital information. I was wondering if you had found a new one for Megan yet.

Vanessa said...

you know you work for a good company when they have a company song....ha.

Lauren said...

Dustin works that same schedule. He likes it. I hope that you actually get your Fridays off!!
Nice Napoleon clip.. he he!

Mac and Alisa said...

So how is life in the real world?