Monday, April 5, 2010

Soon-to-be Homeowners


So after the whole fiasco with the beautiful 1865 house, we decided that maybe we would just extend our lease for another year.  Our agent convinced me to come look at houses with her almost every day of the following week (of St. Patrick's Day).  Oliver and I had a blast, even though it made for a really busy week.  We looked at 3-4 houses a day and saw all of the houses in our price range that she thought we'd like (and she's really good at choosing).  On Friday night, we took Matthias out to see our three favorites and then one other one that came up on the list.  Well, what would you know but the very first house that we looked at was the one we put an offer on.  AND, it just so happened to go on the market the weekend of our failed inspection at the other house.  Coincidence?  I think not!

Our priorities changed a little bit this time around.  Back in the fall when we started looking at houses we were thinking of going with a short sale or a foreclosure that would need some fixing up, but this way we could have more square footage and more land, but still be comfortably in our price range.  This time around we didn't have time for another short sale, so we decided to go for a starter house that we'll eventually outgrow. 

The house itself is a very charming house built in the 1920's and a lot of the original charm is still there.  It has been nearly impeccably maintained, so there really isn't much that we'll have to do right away.



Isn't it cute?  It's yellow! It's got 3 bedrooms, 1 1/2 bathrooms, a living room, a formal dining room, a really cute kitchen with a farmer sink, and a sunporch.  The windows are all original, the wiring is updated, the basement hasn't leaked even with all of the spring rain we've had lately.  The doors still have the original glass handles, there are archways galore and built-ins that just add so much charm to the home.

Now our tax credit can go directly to buying a new couch and loveseat, some rugs, and decorating our home so that it won't be as bare bones as we have been living.  I'm really excited and have been drooling over decorating blogs.  Hopefully we can treat this house as it deserves to be treated.  I mean, just look at it:

I won't bother posting all of their pictures because we will for sure post many to come.  But we love it.  It took us awhile to get as excited about this house because we were a little afraid of disappointment again, but everything is signed, we're just waiting for the official loan approval again, and then the house should be ours on May 28!

11 comments:

Megan Turnidge said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I LOVE it! It's gorgeous!!! Congrats!

Rachel said...

It's so cute!! I want to live there. :) Congrats!

Janny said...

WOW WOW wOW!!! Megan- this is beautiful, absolutely beautiful! It looks like something out of a magazine. I am so happy for you guys!

Mrs. Frisina said...

I'm not excited for you at all ..... !!! :D Maybe I should just come live with you or something. ;)

Melissa said...

Holy Heck I am so jealous you have no idea! I can not wait to see what you do with the place!

Jason said...

Very sweet! I'm excited for you guys!

Nendy said...

This is very exciting!!!! I'm sure you will have fun decorating and making it home!

Lauren said...

Wow! Love it!! Congrats!! :)

Meagan said...

So cute! I can't wait to see pictures of it all decorated Megan style! I am so glad that you guys are happy there, but I sure miss you! :)

~pollyanna said...

DARLING... SO happy for you!

Chanell said...

Congrats!!! The house is adorable... Moving is always a pain, but having your own home is so much fun. Good luck!