Last night I was out and I got a call from Matthias because he had a tick in (on?) his arm. I had never seen a tick before, nor did I know what ticks did, or what the ramifications of a tick bite could possibly be. I just knew that it could be serious. So I came home and Oliver was crying, so we put him back to sleep and then Matthias showed me his arm.
Gross!
I won't post pictures because 1) I didn't take any, and 2) I don't really want to remember what it looked like.
The nurse on-call told him how to have me pull it out, and of course I was nervous. I don't like bugs, and ever since I had a couple of bad experiences giving blood I'm just not so good around it anymore. There's a reason I never had the desire to study medicine.
So I gave it three good tries with the tweezers, all three of which ended with the blood draining from my face and I had to lie down. You know, the feeling like you are going to faint?
Even though I was often "one of the guys", I am very much a girlie girl when it comes to bugs. One day I saw a spider in our apartment, and I was too afraid to smash it, so I thought I might be able to spray it down with hairspray. By the time I was brave enough to go back into the room with hairspray it was gone. It probably went off to reproduce, whereas if I had been brave enough to smash it right away the cycle could have ended there for that spider.
Matthias called one of his friends from school and now work that lives in our apartment complex, and he and another friend came over and they took care of the tick. Although, they were from Arizona too, and apparently touching a tick with your bare hands is bad, but they were having fun looking at it and trying to determine if the head came out or if it broke off.
Yeah. Fun night.
So now we have to see if Matthias got some infectious disease from said tick, or if he gets some infection on his arm from said tick head. Chances are it'll be nothing.
What's even more random is that he had literally only been outside between home, the car, work, the car, home. Unless he got it on our walk with Oliver the night before that consisted mostly of walking through the apartment complex parking lot.
So now all night I have been itching and just seeing that image in my head, when it makes no sense at all. Irrational fears are the worst because I know I shouldn't be such a wimp, and I try so hard not to, but they are still there.
What are your irrational fears?
p.s. On a completely different note: I am really excited to take some Easter pictures of Oliver tomorrow. Hopefully I get them posted in a timely matter. The weather should be perfect!
p.p.s. If you haven't already, check out General Conference tomorrow at 10:00 MST and 2:00 MST. http://byu.tv The morning session will be especially great because you will get to hear a living prophet of the Lord speak to us. I know that he receives revelation directly from the Lord for us, so tune in and be inspired.
p.p.s. Ok, now I will get back to cleaning the house and making Blueberry Boy Bait and hopefully letting this out will help dispel my irrational fear.
2 comments:
I think you can get Lyme disease from ticks. I'm surprised they told you to pull the tick out with tweezers. My Dad said cover it with Vaseline or put a lighted match right next to it and it should back out. Anyway look up the symptoms for Lyme disease and watch for them. If it is treated early, everything will be fine. If it isn't, it can cause chronic health issues. They tested me for it.
On "Little People Big World" they used a lighter and burned it out some how. Or killed it so it all came out at once.
But I totally know what you mean. Have you seen my mouse story? Foreign animals and bugs are just gross. Its mosquito season here, I'm just loving it OH so much.
Post a Comment