When we first told my sister Martha that we'd be coming down to AZ for a Christmas vacation, she invited me to run/walk a 5/10K with her (meaning, she'd run the 10K cause she's awesome and I'd chub run and walk the 5K while wheezing and clutching my gut). Well, surprise surprise, I actually did it and I actually did good!
This is a shot of us that Melanie (our support team) took of us at the finish line of the 5K/10K Rillito River Run. Martha being awesome got second overall for the women 10K, but surprising enough, I got second in my age/gender class for the 5K with a whopping time of just over 27 minutes. Not bad considering I had only ran twice when Martha told me about it over a month prior, twice more the week prior, then twice more the week of. Maybe I should train for reals and see how good I can really get.
It was neat to win and all (well, second in my age/gender class) but it left with with a prize I can’t really use: a $10 gift certificate to Dick’s Sporting Goods. The nearest Dick’s is a bit of a drive away and I’d probably spend way more than would be worth it. Does anybody want it? If you do, tell me in the comments. If more than one person wants it, I’ll have a random.org drawing.
4 comments:
Congrats on doing so well! You made really good time! I couldn't have finished.
Way to go Matt!
Count me in the giveaway :)
Wow that is pretty great! It seems like I remember you making fun of running and the whole idea of track but I could be wrong? Ha!
I had never heard of Dicks Sporting Goods but I googled and there is one in Henderson so I am in!
No problem on that baby stuff, we had soooooo much given to us when we brought Eden home and it saved us a lot of money! Who wants to buy that stuff new anyway? Babies use those things for such a short time!
I spoke with your sister Martha a few nights ago - she said she had a great time running with you and that you were just glad you didn't have to walk. It sounds like a nice visit with all your family.
(I'm Martha's friend Jennifer from high school - she keeps me posted on everyone's happenings - just so you know I'm not a blog stalker!)
Post a Comment