Friday, December 4, 2009

Worst Disguise Ever

Don't get me wrong, I really love the Book of Mormon, and I really enjoy reading it and getting spiritual nourishment from it. However, one of the BofM's most powerful prophets who bears one of the most powerful testimonies of Christ gets a disguise fail.




That's right, Abinadi!

So in the book of Mosiah, chapter 11, Abinidi preaches to the people of wicked King Noah, and he gets thrown out of town because, hey, they're wicked! So in chapter 12, verse 1, Abinadi gets sneaky:

1 And it came to pass that after the space of two years that Abinadi came among them in disguise, that they knew him not, and began to prophesy among them, saying:
Megan and I read this and thought, Hey! that's a cool sneaky idea, come in with a disguise so he can keep on preaching to the wicked people of wicked King Noah. Hmmm, I wonder if anyone knew it was Abinadi under the disguise...

Continuing in verse 1, we find what Abinadi says:

Thus has the Lord commanded me, saying—Abinadi, go and prophesy unto this my people, for they have hardened their hearts against my words; they have repented not of their evil doings...
AAAHH! The jig is up! I've revealed my secret identity in less then one verse! I just think, C'mon! The first thing out of his mouth is his name! Whoops!

So Abinadi: powerful prophet of God, crummy secret agent.

Maybe it's sacrilege to think about the scriptures this way, or maybe it's just because I've watched the Simpsons too much in my past. Ya know, it does remind of one episode called Lisa the Vegetarian in season 7....

Skinner: Good morning class.  A certain...agitator...for privacy's sake
         let's call her...Lisa S. No, that's too obvious...uuuh, let's
         say L. Simpson --
          [Lisa slaps her forehead in a slient D'oh!]
         has raised questions about certain school policies.  So, in the
         interest in creating an open dialogue, sit silently and watch
         this film.
Or this other episode in season 5 called Secrets of a Successful Marriage:
[Homer is teaching a university course on marriage]
Homer: I do have a story about two other young marrieds.
Mrs. Krabappel: We need names.
Homer: Well, er, let's just call them, uh, "Mr. X" and "Mrs. Y." So anyway, Mr. X would say, "Marge, I don't know you're talking about, but if my name isn't Homer J. Simpson..."

But I digress...

2 comments:

Lauren said...

So that fail web site is hilar.. and the Simpson's draws so many parallels to life. Keep watchin!

Nendy said...

I guess I forgot about the disguise.