Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Home at Last!

Apparently getting to the hospital less than 15 minutes before the baby is born isn't enough time to put an IV in the mom if she is GBS positive, so they had to keep Camilla for a full 48 hours to check her blood cultures to make sure she didn't get the infection.  I was discharged last night, but they had to keep Camilla until this morning so that the pediatrician could take a look at her and the cultures.  Everything came back fine, and even the ear that kept failing the hearing test is now working (I'm sure it's because of the daddy/daughter dancing to some jazz music that went on in the hospital yesterday).  Luckily they weren't too busy with new babies, so I was allowed to stay in the room overnight so that I could still feed her.

And just to clarify a few points that Matthias was a little fuzzy on because he was running around taking care of Oliver and getting everything ready for us to go to the hospital:

I was in labor from 9am on, with contractions pretty consistently 6.5 minutes apart, all day long.  There was definite cramping and pain, so I knew that they were the real thing vs. the Braxton Hicks I had been having forever.

When I went downstairs for dinner, I had a few that were closer together, but once I laid down (since I was technically on bed rest due to high blood pressure), they went back to their old 6.5 minutes apart.

After dinner we figured that we would be having the baby that night or the next day at the latest, so we called to make arrangements where necessary.

Around 8 or so the contractions started getting more painful, and by 9 they were excruciating and I had to have Matthias massage my lower back during them, and I was crying with each one.  They were still 6.5 minutes apart though!  And if I had one that had a 3 or 4 minute interval, the next would have a 7 or 8 minute interval.

By 9pm I was done and decided to call the doctor.  I called her just after one contraction, and was off the phone with her before the next, so she heard me in calm mode (I don't feel bad at all in between contractions, just during them), and didn't think I really needed to come in.  However, they were having a lull after a busy day, and since I seemed so worried, even if I didn't seem in pain, she told me to come on in and they would see how I was progressing.

So we called the family who was going to watch Oliver, and it took me a half an hour just to get dressed because I had to stop for every contraction.

We got to the hospital just after 10 to remember that the main entrance closes at 10 and we had to drive around to the emergency entrance (and I had walked halfway to the entrance while Matthias was rushing ahead to get me a wheelchair.  I didn't want any time wasted!).  Everyone in the ER was sooooo slow and calm I was trying and trying to rush them.  Luckily the wheelchair girl figured out that I was in a LOT of pain and started to hurry.

When the doctor saw me being wheeled in, she said that I looked a lot worse than I sounded!  After I called her the contractions did speed up to every 3 minutes, and the pain was getting worse and worse.

Once we were in the room, the nurse was calmly telling me how to put my robe on and I grabbed it from her and changed as fast as I could without any care in the world of privacy.  I wanted to be in that bed before the next contraction hit!  As I was getting on the bed my water broke, they had Matthias call in the doctor, and then 3 minutes of pushing later, we had a baby girl.

The best news is that I didn't break my tailbone with some quick thinking of Matthias to remember (and luckily it was the same doctor that we had talked to about the problem, so she was already on the same page as us!).  The recovery has been sooooo much better!  I can roll over in bed, get out of bed, walk, get up and down from chairs, snuggle my baby and get up with her, and I'm not in excruciating pain!  I can't believe they didn't notice last time, but I'm so glad that we were able to prevent another occurrence.  I've still got the feeling that I did too many ab exercises, but I'd take that over a broken tailbone any day!  In fact, I'm greatly looking forward to doing ab exercises once I'm healed up.

The newborn stage is so precious!  I could just snuggle Camilla all day and all night (although I have to force myself not to so that I can get enough sleep to be able to enjoy her)!  Oliver is in love with his baby sister, and was even asking after her and I before they came to pick us up from the hospital.  He loves going over to the pack and play to look at her, and sometimes he just laughs with glee just from seeing her.  Right now he calls her "Baby shuh shuh", probably because that's what we've been telling him all along.  Now we are trying to teach him to call her Camilla, and I am really excited to see what nicknames come from it.

She is a much better eater than Oliver was, probably because he was so drowsy from the jaundice.  She loves to suck, and we've actually given her a binky and she loves it.  It sure saves a momma's sanity not to be a human binky!

When my mom first found out she was pregnant with my eldest brother, she bought some cute fabric with little cherries on it for if she had a girl.  Three boys later, she had actually made a dress out of the fabric, but who knew if she would ever have a girl.  Then I was born, and she was so excited to finally get to use that little dress made with that cherry fabric she had bought 8 years before, but I was a fat baby and barely fit into it.  She sent it to me, so that Camilla could wear it (since I was lucky enough to know that we were having a girl), and she is sure a doll!


1 comment:

Nendy said...

Camilla looks SO cute in the dress I made for you!! And she was able to wear it more. You weren't fat. The dress was for a 7 pound baby, you were 8 pounds 12 ounces.